About Tzu Chi Singapore
Paving the Path of Great Love in the Lion City
In 50 years, Singapore has made a remarkable transformation from a third world backwater to a global financial and commercial hub. Tzu Chi, which was founded in Taiwan just one year after the independence of Singapore, has likewise established its presence globally from its humble beginnings in the rural east coast of Taiwan. Feeling the pain and hardships of the suffering, and believing that everyone possesses selfless love within, the NGO has inspired countless people around the world to serve as dedicated volunteers to work for the betterment of humanity.
The seeds of Tzu Chi’s Great Love from Taiwan took root on the shores of our island more than 20 years ago. Tzu Chi’s work in Singapore started with the Mission of Charity and the goal of relieving poverty, before gradually expanding into the Missions of Medicine, Education, Humanistic Culture, and Environmental Protection over the years.
Purifying hearts and minds
Bringing about harmony in society
Mitigating disasters in the world
Working towards these three aspirations of Dharma Master Cheng Yen, Tzu Chi Singapore has established the Buddhist Compassion Relief Tzu Chi Foundation (Singapore) and Buddhist Tzu Chi Merit Organization (Singapore) Ltd., which carry out various programmes and activities that benefit the community.
Singapore is a relatively wealthy and blessed nation spared of natural disasters. Hence, Master Cheng Yen encourages Tzu Chi volunteers in Singapore to diligently sow the seeds of love and kindness, so that with such collective blessings, our country would be imbued with humanistic values and enjoy lasting peace and prosperity.
Buddhist Compassion Relief Tzu Chi Foundation (Singapore)
As a registered charity and an Institution of Public Character (IPC), the Foundation raises funds from the public and uses the donations it receives to promote organised charitable activities, medical services, humanistic education and culture to meet the local society’s needs and demands.
Buddhist Tzu Chi Merit Organization (Singapore) Ltd.
Established in 2016, the Merit Organization carries out aid work and religious activities that benefit people and bring forth the spirit and essence of Buddhism. As a registered charitable organisation, it provides humanitarian aid to those in need overseas, regardless of their race or religion. Its relief efforts are funded by locally-raised funds and carried out in accordance with the Law and regulations.
- Illuminate Lives! Sow Seeds of Great Love in Singapore!
- Charity – Provide timely and fitting support for the needy
- Medicine – Establish a patient-centric medical network with quality healthcare services
- Education – Cultivate a holistic educational methodology with a focus on character development through inculcating values
- Humanistic Culture – Create inclusive media platforms to spread positive messages and enhance the wellbeing of the community
- Environmental Protection – Propagate eco-friendly practices and vegetarianism towards a healthier lifestyle and sustainable planet
Five Core Values
- Nurture the spirit of sincerity, integrity, faith, and steadfastness within our character.
- Serve mankind selflessly with the spirit of loving-kindness, compassion, joy, and equanimity.
- Demonstrate sincerity and love by treating everyone with equality and respect; be appreciative of the opportunity to serve.
- Observe the Ten Precepts of Tzu Chi, practise self-reflection and self-improvement, and work unitedly to accomplish organisational goals.
- Foster enthusiasm in lifelong learning, encourage innovation and adopt best practices in addressing societal needs.
Our Five Pillars
Our work focuses on the following areas, which encompass a wide range of programmes and services: